Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Assisted Suicide

I was watching TV this morning while waiting to go to work when a very interesting topic and interview came up. The former lawyer and now author of the book The Last Goodnights was on to talk about his story. The book is his side of the story of a 10 year secret that he has kept from his family including his sisters. The secret is that he aided in the death of both his terminally ill parents. His father was rapidly dying from cancer, and his mother was deteriorating and would eventually die from Alzheimer's. The cocktail of pills was administered at different times frames, but he does admit to giving each of them the cocktails. Later in the interview he does say that he held his mother and told her every sweet thing he could as she passed. He is aware that he may go to jail. Assisted suicide is only legal in certain states, and I think it is only like one to two. By coming forward with his story John West hope to make assisted suicide legal. I have thought all day about this interview, and it still bothers me in so many ways. As a nurse I feel we must do preserve life and respect life. I feel that if we were to legalize this it could be abused in so many ways. I have also had to see someone pass away right in front of me, and I can remember wanting nothing more than for them to not have to suffer anymore. One other point I feel I need to make is if this were to be leaglized and it became the doctors responsibliy to end the patients life what would happen to their soul on their judgement day? Would they have to pay for all the lives they took even if it was a act of mercy? I think I an going to have to get this man's book to understand because I don't think I could have done what he did.

1 comment:

MADDIE said...

(MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS STUCK)....THAT IS A HARD ONE. I GUESS IT IS REALLY HARD TO KNOW WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN A SITUATION LIKE THAT. I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IT IS SOMETHING THAT I COULD NEVER DO TOO, BUT WITNESSING SOMEONE I DEARLY LOVE SUFFER MIGHT MAKE ME PONDER THE IDEA. I CAN'T IMAGINE WATCHING THOSE CLOSEST TO ME SUFFER FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OR WATCH THEM CONTINUE LIFE IN MISERY...LIKE LB HAD TO! GOOD POST!! SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT....